Goals are simply dreams with deadlines – Napoleon Hill
First thing, give yourself permission to dream and to think wildly. I believe God places dreams and visions in our hearts but it is up to us to cultivate them.
Now to Him who is able to carry out His purpose and do superabundantly more than all that we dare ask or think infinitely beyond our greatest prayers, hopes, or dreams, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever. Amen. – Ephesians 3:20-21 Amplified Bible
If He placed those gigantious dreams in your spirit I think that He can help bring those to pass, what do you think? So you will dig and you will dream while you answer these questions. All they are to do is stir up what is already in you. So don’t be afraid, don’t be timid. If you think “there is no way that could happen for me” then write it down, I bet you it will happen for you. God loves to do the impossible, so maybe He just wants to do something impossible with and for you.
You cannot be wimpy out there on the dream-seeking trail. Dare to break through barriers, to find your own path – Les Brown
Second, get comfortable. Go to a park. Go hiking. Settle in a quiet room or have light music playing. Turn off the lights or turn on the lights, it all your choice, what makes you feel free to dream and think. But have this questionnaire with you, a notepad and pen. Let your mind wander. Let the crazy thoughts come. Capture a few of them especially if they keep coming back to mind. Allow your mind to hold that thought and think it through. so much of the time we don’t spend time thinking through things. We clutter our mind with TV, news, work, social media, radio and shows. You must set aside some time for this exercise. Give yourself some mental space to think through the thoughts.
A man becomes what he thinks about most of the time – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Whatever a man thinks in his heart, so is he. – Proverbs 23:7
Third, this is just the beginning. Once you allow yourself space to dream the dreams will come more often. You will have creative ideas. This is good. God the creator, created you with that ability. It is time to get back to it and allow your creativity to flourish. Once you answer these questions and fill up some pages with ideas and dreams then you will narrow them down to 10 goals for the year. You will have activity goals that you can track. You will post them and read them daily. You will become focused. You will talk with someone about them, email me, or get a friend to become accountable to not give up. That person will remind you of your goals. You will learn to say “no” to what does not fit in, even if it is something good. You will learn to rejoice as you accomplish the goals and mark them off. You will learn to rejoice even in the small accomplishments.
Jesus looked at them intently and said, “humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible – Matthew 19:26 New Living Translation
- This you will do by thinking as your future self 10 years from now. Looking back from your future self, what would you be most proud of accomplishing in 2018 (dream wild)?
- Now thinking as your future self 5 years from now, looking back what are you most excited that you actually were brave enough to do in 2018 (no fear, not even in your thoughts)?
- Thinking as your future self, on December 31st of 2018, you are now looking back on the year and you say “I am so excited that __________________happened”, “I was able to break free of fear and I am so happy that I was able to ___________”. “During this past year ____________________was the most exciting day because ____________________”, “I was so happy when____________________”.
- If money was no issue write down 20 things that you would do?
- If time was no issue and your family and friends supported you what would be your ideal job?
- Is there some charity that makes your heart hurt and you want to be involved in if you had the money?
- Where would you travel to if you had a ton of money?
- Write down 20 things you would do if you had a billion dollars.
- What is the craziest thing you can think of to dream? Something that you think people would laugh about if they heard you say it. What is another totally crazy thought?
- Rereading what you have written, narrow it down to 10 things that are burning within you. They probably showed up more than once. If you can’t come up with 10 things then go back over the questions and spend a little more time writing. Let your mind flow and think thoughts to completion or as much as you can for today. It is ok if you need more than one day. Spend as much time as you need. You will begin to see ideas forming.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. – Louis D. Brandeis
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream another dream – C. S. Lewis
If you need a little more help, send me an email or PM and lets talk. It is amazing how when you allow your mind to think, and I believe allow your spirit freedom to go beyond your normal and the average, you will start to see things form. But sometimes you need to talk it out. Seek out a trusted friend or reach out to me. Don’t forget you don’t just set goals and dreams down, you make a plan and go forward. This will set you apart from the average person.
Happy hunting and much success body, soul and spirit in 2018.